Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Monday night/ Tuesday morning.

Well, it's down to me and mom now, because the rest of the family had to go home. We were sad they had to go, but I was so happy that they got to talk to Daniel before he left. Unfortunately, he doesn't so much remember that right now - because we figured out he has short term memory loss. We started to notice that right about the 10th time we told him his heart stopped... He keeps asking what happened to him and why he's in the hospital. The doctors say this is completely normal and that it will probably get better. He actually can't remember some things from a few days before this whole thing happened. For instance, he dropped his phone in a puddle last Monday and it died a noble death. He took my old phone as a loaner, and switched his number to that because it works on the same network. Unfortunately, my old phone is pink. I showed it to him today, and he very slowly told me "that's not my phone!" I tried to tell him the story, but he didn't believe me. :) He still has his long term memories though.

Last night Daniel had this great nurse named Ryan with a sense of humor similar to Daniel's. He told Daniel that he would send some of the cute blonde nurses past Daniel's window so that he could check them out. Daniel gave him a thumbs up and said 'deal!' Then there was a nurse taking care of him today, and he asked her if she had a boyfriend!. Ha ha. She said she was married, but that she has cute sisters Daniel can meet.

He also found the sprinkler head on the ceiling in his room, and he is convinced that it is a cockroach. It took us forever to figure out that he was saying cockroach, but once we did we spent about 10 minutes trying to convince him that it wasn't one. Then the nurse walked in, and instead of saying that it wasn't a cockroach, he told Daniel "well, i guess we'll leave that cockroach alone if he doesn't come any closer" Daniel looked at us like "see! I told you there was a cockroach!" He found it again this morning and told us that there was a freaking huge bug right there on the ceiling (okay, he may have been a little more colorful than that, but there are mothers out there reading this :) and no, not THAT colorful.) It made us laugh, so he kept reminding us about the huge bug there.

Last night he asked his nurse if he could watch TV. I was confused until Daniel pointed at a TV that I hadn't even noticed was in his room. We turned on some ESPN for him and he smiled really big. This morning when he was watching TV, President Obama was on. My mom said 'Look, it's president Obama!" and Daniel raised his fist up and said "black power". Ha ha ha.

He's getting really frustrated with all of his tubes, and every chance he gets he tries to pull them out, but we're keeping a close eye on him... and we keep tying his restraints closer to the bed. They are going to do a feeding test with him today to see if he can swallow well enough to get the feeding tube out. That will make him feel better.

Daniel got a pair of basketball shoes a few months ago called Air Penny's. I don't know if anyone remembers the commercials for them in the early 90's, but Daniel sure does. They had a little marionette version of Penny Hardaway called 'li'l penny'. He got a version of little Penny for Christmas, and he just loves the thing! Daniel's roommate brought the thing (I hate to call it a doll) by the hospital, and Daniel keeps asking to hold it. Then he mumbles something about donuts and loafers. Then we remembered the commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzYW-6EF99M . We watched that with him on YouTube and now we quote it with him :)

Due to Daniel's short term memory loss, we have been told that we can hang up some things in his room that will bring back memories. We've got a few pics and a cute sign that some friends made, but we would like to do more. If you all have any ideas of things that Daniel would really like to have around him, or that would be special to him, let us know. Some people have written letters to him, and we read those out loud. Since he can't remember it 5 minutes later, we can actually read it multiple times. The letters make him smile. If you'd like to send a special picture or something, email me and I will send you my home address. I live about 3 minutes from the hospital, so that will be easier than sending it to the hospital.

Thanks for the support and prayers! keep it up, he's making so much progress!

3 comments:

  1. The short term memory loss reminds me of Rick after his accident in High School. He can probably relate to what Daniel is going through except that he probably can't remember it. I wonder if the foul mouth swearing is still to come?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if his ipod would be something he is allowed to use while in the hospital, but it has all of his favorite songs on there and I think he would enjoy listening to it to help pass the time. Tell him to keep working hard, he is still in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate, even though you are correct and I don't remember the hospital or a month or two after the hospital. What I do remember is when I had recovered enough to realize that something was wrong with me. It was kind of scary. I was afraid it was permanent and it scared me even though you insisted that the doctors said I would recover. Oh, and you guys say I swore at you a lot in the hospital but I don't remember that and I don't believe you. Daniel, hang in there. You're a good man and a lot of people are praying for you. Kind of like Alma the Younger, except we're praying for you to continue getting better, not praying for you to repent =^)

    BTW, who are you anonymous?

    ReplyDelete