Friday, February 6, 2009

Mom's updates

Finally, Daniel slept through the night. For the past two nights he was fidgety and anxious and only slept 3 hours each night. He is very alert and really wants to leave the hospital. Last night he slept through the night so he should feel much better today. He is constantly asking if he can go play basketball :-( Daniel will probably move out of the ICU soon and maybe into REHAB. The details are still being discussed because his many Docs are still trying to determine what caused the cardiac arrest and how to prevent it from happening again. One of his heart docs said that the number of people who experience the type of cardiac arrest and lack of oxygen/blood flow to brain like Daniel had, and survive - one percent! Only by the grace of God is he alive right now. Some days I think there are medical personnel who come by just to see what type of person he is that he survived those odds. And he is loving the audience and entertains them all. It is a good thing he won't be remembering his outrageous comments. The strides he is making continue to amaze everyone. He has a speech therapist, an occupational therapist, physical therapist, dietitian, etc, as well as a lung doctor, brain doctor, and multiple types of heart doctors. They each have seen progress each day he has been in ICU. His pneumonia is almost cleared. There will be more tests run in the next couple of days to check brain swelling and heart issues. All of his doctors and nurses and medical personnel are top notch and we are so grateful for their service to Daniel. He is in a very good place for such a bad thing to happen. We continue to have faith and trust that God is in charge and has a plan for Daniel's life. Otherwise he wouldn't still be with us. The paramedics who saved Daniel's life came by the hospital the other day, to see how he was doing. They were amazed at his progress. It was an emotional moment for me, to meet total strangers who did all they could to save Daniel's life and quality of life. They were very happy to see him and promised to come back. I hope they do, so Daniel can remember them. ~Rochele

4 comments:

  1. Rochele and Rebecca, thanks for your running updates. We all have Daniel in our thoughts and prayers. Glad to know of the significant progress!! I can't believe he has Air Pennys. Where did he get them? I had no idea those are still around. Thanks again for the postings.

    Uncle tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news and post Rochele. This blog will be a nice source of information for Daniel later. I hope you are writing even more information in journals or something. I know I was (and still am) very curious about what was happening to me during that period of my life that I can't remember, even the outrageous comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have already told Rebecca this, but thank you for your updates as well! It's nice being able to read about Dan, and see how he is doing. I'm sure Dan appreciates having you there with him every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's your secret for helping your son sleep through the night? I'm still anticipating when I can say the same for Garrett (he's nine months old now)! I am amazed at how gracefully your family has dealt with these latest events. Our family is keeping you in our prayers! We are grateful to hear each bit of good news! Thanks and much love,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete